New Worlds Roleplaying
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roleplayers gather at their own site: New Worlds RPs!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What Makes a Great RP Great?

Go down 
+5
TokoToTheEnd
Magus1108
nando_c_s
Shadow Moonseye
Sarcastic Master
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Sarcastic Master
Admin
Sarcastic Master

What Makes a Great RP Great? Empty
PostSubject: What Makes a Great RP Great?   What Makes a Great RP Great? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 5:04 pm

It's no secret that we like to roleplay here, hence the name of the website. But it seems that the majority of the rps here die before they really get started.

So this topic will be for users to give their opinions on what they like in an rp, what they don't like, and other factors that help them decide whether they want to join, and remain active in, an rp.

For instance, what I like in an rp is freedom, and being able to do something bizzarre in a normal setting, or even in a bizzarre setting. I like to play either cynics or insane people, especially when it fits in well with the plot. And fire magic makes everything better.

What I don't like is when the rp starts to become stale, and starts to flatline just as it gets interesting (this dislike is the motivation for this thread, so we can hopefully keep rps from getting stale). I'm not a big fan of dramas either, unless I can make it interesting with a person who has no interest in anything surrounded by people who take an interest in everything. Usually they don't tend to fit in that well though.

Sometimes the plot of an rp may not be something I really like, but I'll think of a character I really want to play in it, so I'll join then. Then somtimes if nothing happens in an rp in awhile and it's just character interaction without conflict, I'll get bored with it.

Those are my examples. It's my hope that this topic will help rps to fuction better in the future.
Back to top Go down
Shadow Moonseye

Shadow Moonseye

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Great RP Great?   What Makes a Great RP Great? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 6:09 pm

Personally, I think that one thing that makes great rps great is participation. That's one thing that I've noticed here, since our move from ASN. People join rps, but nobody posts past a few intro posts with their characters. Or a group of friends glue themselves together and only post in rps that their friends make and vice versa.

Other things that make RPs great?

Unexpected things. Things that come out of the left field, extraordinary plot twists, things like that.

And for gods and devils sake, veriaty. A plethora of different rps with different plots, not copy pastes of other rps with a few minor changes.

I love to dabble in a little bit of everything. Evil villians, courageous heros, epic wars, loons, psychos, warriors, Magics, Sci-fi, Horror, Survival Horror, things like that.

Well, that's my first two cents. I'll be back with more, I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
http://shadow-moonseye.deviantart.com/
nando_c_s

nando_c_s

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Great RP Great?   What Makes a Great RP Great? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 6:35 pm

I've also noted the lack of posts after a few pages. In ASN, we used to have Rps with over 80+ pages and some, incredibly long. I have also wondered, why is it that they die so fast?

One thing that comes into my mind is that our community is fairly small. Few people, too many Rps. I think this might be a factor for our current problem.

Now, as for what I like in an Rp would be great plot twists. This can make anybody and anything change their current status in the role-play, for the better or the worst. And I love Rps with blood, action, gore, adventure, and a few more.

I'm done, lets see what the rest have to say.
Back to top Go down
Magus1108

Magus1108

Location : Aboard the Death Star, preparing to destroy the Rebel Alliance. Fear me and obey!

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Great RP Great?   What Makes a Great RP Great? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 9:46 pm

The things I really like in RPs are great and interesting plots, as well as great plot twists and the like. It also doesn't hurt to have great characters in the RP as well. It's a shame the majority of RPs here don't last that long. I'm thankful to be apart of two RPs that are still going on from ASN, as well as another I started here that's still going on strong.

I think what we really need are some unique plots and settings. Something that has't been done all that often. Something...more original, more creative. Something that would keep people interested and wanting to keep it alive. That's my two cents.
Back to top Go down
TokoToTheEnd

TokoToTheEnd

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Great RP Great?   What Makes a Great RP Great? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 10:13 am

Ok this is based on the rpgs that have actually been successful and ended.

I think an rpg needed to have a firm plot that also leaves room for the characters to do as they please. I meant he rpg needs to have a goal in mind that everyone is either consciously or unconsciously heading towards. If you allow everyone to go off on random tangents, they rpg will lose it's original purpose and I find that hard to follow. But I also hate rpgs that don't allow you freedom at all. People will lose interest if there is no actual point to an rpg because they don't know where to go in it.

I know I am tooting my own horn, but my successful rpgs The Unwanted, The Darkness War, and The Light Side all had this. Though there was freedom in the rpgs they all were being driven by a plot and eventually we were able to get to the conclusion of the plot. I know I was the one who actually drove it home, but that's beside the point...

Also I find I need humor. RPGs are boring without it and so people tend to lose interest.
Back to top Go down
Sarcastic Master
Admin
Sarcastic Master

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Great RP Great?   What Makes a Great RP Great? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 9:18 pm

nando_c_s wrote:

One thing that comes into my mind is that our community is fairly small. Few people, too many Rps. I think this might be a factor for our current problem.

That is a problem, and I think it's ultimately one of our biggest flaws. I think that the community is becoming less active as a whole. I don't see many rp's lately getting much actvity at all, and that may be because people who had major parts in them are just not being active anymore. We just don't have enough people who will commit to an rp, actually stay with it and be a part in it.

Regardless, I think the creator really needs to keep the rp driven. I've been bad about trying to keep everyone in the loop constantly, and it's turned out that sometimes that's been a downfall to an rp. Simply put, I know everyone has their own lives to live and can't always be active in an rp, but waiting around for everyone who can't post isn't fair to the people who can. It's also actually turned out well when another player tries taking the rp somewhere different from its orgininal course.

I think we might need some new blood in rps as well, as we have quite a few of some rps, especially Avatar rps, medieval-magic rps, and probably the space-theme rps. Not to mention the multi-character crossovers that I'm guilty of supplying more of my fair share of.

It's also gets repetitive when characters don't know anybody else and they have to introduce themselves to everyone. It wouldn't hurt for some characters to already know each other and be friends/partners in crime/related/rival supervillains/ect.

Any thoughts on this?
Back to top Go down
Magus1108

Magus1108

Location : Aboard the Death Star, preparing to destroy the Rebel Alliance. Fear me and obey!

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Great RP Great?   What Makes a Great RP Great? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 11:33 pm

I agree. We should find a way to attract more people to the site. As for your idea on the multiple crossover RPs, I also agree with you. Having participated in and made one such RP, things like that can get annoying. Personally, I'm starting to prefer smaller crossovers, such as a crossover RP between only 2 fandoms. My Star Wars/Avatar crossover RP is one such, and it's been pretty successful I'd say. I remember on the former RP board on ASN, in the early pages I believe, their were plenty of single crossovers before multiple crossovers were made. One such example I can think of was Avatar/Naruto. I don't remember how successful they were, but I think those would work better.
Back to top Go down
TokoToTheEnd

TokoToTheEnd

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Great RP Great?   What Makes a Great RP Great? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 9:59 am

I agree with you mstm. I think if characters know eachother it'll make things easier.
Back to top Go down
Agrippa

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Great RP Great?   What Makes a Great RP Great? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 10:24 pm

To me a great roleplay requires planning on the part of the GM/Story Teller/asylum warden, flexablity, impartiality on the refferee's part, freedom for the players to alter the course of the adventure and a nice bare bones plot to work as a foundation. Nothing fancy, just a basic plot that can be easily expanded upon based on the player characters and their histories and associates. Instead of building a massive crossover plot at the start you could start with a more basic plot and add on different fiction universes and blend them in game. Maybe the players have their characters know bits and pieces about each other, providing they're from the same world. There's an example I could link to if you want. Note that I'm currently a player in it.
Back to top Go down
Agrippa

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Great RP Great?   What Makes a Great RP Great? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 10:55 pm

If anyone is interested this is the roleplay I'm currently invovled in. Any roleplay I start will most likely resemble it in format and rules. Yes, it barely in any way resembles the typical kind of roleplays here, but that doesn't concern me.
Back to top Go down
Velox

Velox

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Great RP Great?   What Makes a Great RP Great? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 12:09 am

manysidestome wrote:
nando_c_s wrote:

That is a problem, and I think it's ultimately one of our biggest flaws. I think that the community is becoming less active as a whole. I don't see many rp's lately getting much actvity at all, and that may be because people who had major parts in them are just not being active anymore. We just don't have enough people who will commit to an rp, actually stay with it and be a part in it.

Regardless, I think the creator really needs to keep the rp driven. I've been bad about trying to keep everyone in the loop constantly, and it's turned out that sometimes that's been a downfall to an rp. Simply put, I know everyone has their own lives to live and can't always be active in an rp, but waiting around for everyone who can't post isn't fair to the people who can. It's also actually turned out well when another player tries taking the rp somewhere different from its orgininal course.

I think we might need some new blood in rps as well, as we have quite a few of some rps, especially Avatar rps, medieval-magic rps, and probably the space-theme rps. Not to mention the multi-character crossovers that I'm guilty of supplying more of my fair share of.

It's also gets repetitive when characters don't know anybody else and they have to introduce themselves to everyone. It wouldn't hurt for some characters to already know each other and be friends/partners in crime/related/rival supervillains/ect.

Any thoughts on this?

(I'll display my thoughts using numbers that relate to the order MSTM's paragraphs):

1. Sadly, I feel like my commitment level is really really low. It's not really however, as in I really do wanna join and be active in the RPs that I reserve spots in, but I'm just so freaking busy that I can't just sit down and work on character sheets as I please. I feel like I'm coming off as a really unreliable person and someone who you just can't depend on...which makes this all the more frustrating. (Honestly, I should probably be working on my sheets more now instead of making this post.

2. That's definitely true. The Director (I just like calling the creators of RPs Directors/Producers) should have as much as a role as the other RPers. Honestly, I sometimes joke with others about how certain creators keep PMing me and making sure that I post, but I'm really glad that they do, and I hope that others do this to me more often. It really sucks to be left 5+ pages behind with your characters missing major plot points simply because you were too busy to do anything. It also kind of ruins the RP a little bit (maybe a lot bit) in my opinion.

3. Those 3 examples do seem to be the majority, but I have seen some pretty interesting and unique ideas pop up...good unique and interesting ideas. Mixing things up is always nice. Something that I find kind of weird is that there's only been 2 Zombie Survival RPs and the first one (That is probably in the graveyard because most of the original RPers have apparently left sadly...) seemed to be pretty popular and a lot of people were interested. The 2nd one by sean_hiruki only has me and Sean in it (Atleast the last time I checked)l, and I'm really surprised. What's up with that?

3.5 On another note, which is purely my own opinion and feelings, I actually am not a big fan of crossover RPs. Well, atleast not being in a crossover RP. I just feel like I can't potray canon characters right. (Most canon characters anyways.) I really prefer being OCs because they allow more freedom and originality.

4. I can see what you mean there. A current character I'm making for an RP does have past relations with another RPer's character though, so I'm glad I'm taking care of this one already. Characters not knowing characters could be the best thing for a camp drama RP, or an RP where shipping is one of the main selling points, but tension and angst between ex'es (*Not even sure how to spell that correctly*) can make for some pretty sweet drama.

Well, I'll save other stuff I got for later. I actually thought of a topic to post about here earlier...and then I completely forgot it. Hopefully I'll remember it...might've just remembered it. Doesn't do me much good though since I'm going to bed now. I'll be back though, and hopefully I'll have more sheets completed by then.
Back to top Go down
Plaguewalker

Location : Today I am here. By tommorrow, I will be gone. What hopes do you have of catching my song?

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Great RP Great?   What Makes a Great RP Great? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 2:40 am

In all honesty, I think the biggest problem is lack of devotion.

People join, worm themselves into the heart of the plot, and then leave, thus killing the entire plot with one perfect blow. It's really annoying, and it makes me want to take a sledge to some heads.

I get having a life. I really get it. But honestly, if you're having so much trouble getting on for ten minutes, and typing up a paragrah or two a day, then you need to ask to be dragged along by someone, or bow out.

Plus, I'd like to see some orginality start showing up. No offense to anyone, but everytime I look at the Fandom RP board, there is a new star wars RP, and they tend to die within the week. People should put more effort into making stuff.

S'my opinion. Feel free to disagree or agree.
Back to top Go down
dylan56

dylan56

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Great RP Great?   What Makes a Great RP Great? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 11:54 am

Ignore me... I found what I was looking for. It seems my sight kicked in.

I'm going to ask a question which may or may not have an obvious answer, but I have searched the forum and I haven't seen a thread similar so far... SO...

Is there a thread where we can share out ideas for an RP and help each other build on them?
I think if there isn't, (sorry if there is and I am blind) we should have one.

It'll allow us to hype each other up with great new ideas. Expand our creativeness, and it'll also help us with feedback... Which means there won't be RP's being posted that'll die within a few days of being made because the author didn't know if their idea was refined enough to attract attention...

Anyways... Its just my idea... I ask because I have this idea for an RP... But I can't seem to cut my intro down... It seems perfect to me, but I'm pretty sure its too long for people to bother with... and I'd really like some help.

Anyway, I think I've harped on enough... thanks for listening.
Back to top Go down
http://my.heart.is.my.second.stomach
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Great RP Great?   What Makes a Great RP Great? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Makes a Great RP Great?
Page 1 of 1