New Worlds Roleplaying
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roleplayers gather at their own site: New Worlds RPs!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How it works

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ghostmaker

Ghostmaker

How it works Empty
PostSubject: How it works   How it works I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 4:39 pm

The Realm – How it works

Welcome to “the Realm” a Grand RolePlay on New Worlds RPs. I am your gracious host and Admin, Ghostmaker, and will give a quick overview of what a Grand RP is in this thread. This is also the place to ask if you’re wondering about something concerning the rules or structure.

If you’re curious about the setting instead, go to This thread to read up on places, races and what’s happening with the Grand RP at the moment.

If you instead have suggestions or additions to the RP, I would ask you to make a new thread concerning it while the “construction”-phase is underway. When the Grand RP opens, you will have to PM me if you have any ideas.
Back to top Go down
Ghostmaker

Ghostmaker

How it works Empty
PostSubject: Re: How it works   How it works I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 4:41 pm

Basics of a Grand RP

The first thing to note is that a Grand RP will last a while so you should really think through your character before submitting him/her. It is a character you will be using for months (if not years) to interact with other characters. The extended time also means that your character will have time to grow as his/her adventures take him/her new and exiting places.

The second thing to note is that a grand RP spans an entire board. Each thread is a location within the Realm and therefore only contains those characters that are currently in that location. If your character is walking from one location to another, then you simply write a note at the end of the last post in that location that states which new area your char’s moving to and then start writing in that new location.

Though the Realm is a great place for thrilling adventures and hard-fought battles, it is maybe an even better place for your character to meet up with and get to know a whole lot of new and strange people. Don’t make a character tooled up to be the best warrior ever if he can’t carry a conversation. Your avatar in this world isn’t supposed to be the best you can make him/her, s/he is supposed to be a believable person with hopes, dreams, strengths and faults.

Last thing to note is that the Realm is a fluid RP in the sense that it will be constantly changing. There will be both Major and Minor Events that you can participate in as a player and the outcome of these events will shape the world as time goes. There will at any time be a handful of Minor Events active that you can join in on, such as parties going treasure-hunting in ruins, collecting a bounty on another player or a bare-knuckle tournament in a underground fight club. These Minor Events will either be started by us Admins to rock the boat or by the actions of the players in the Realm.
Major Events will be the great happenings in the world that will leave the map changed once they are complete. War, epidemics, catastrophes, great discoveries and political upheaval are all examples of what a Major Event could center around. Major Events will also work as Expansions to the Realm as they will introduce new locations that might remain open to players even after the Event has passed, as well as new opponents, new playable races and new opportunities on a whole.
Back to top Go down
Ghostmaker

Ghostmaker

How it works Empty
PostSubject: Re: How it works   How it works I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 4:47 pm

Rules

The rules for the Realm are divided into two parts. The first half are called Hard Rules and these are written in stone. You will get two warnings for breaking Hard Rules before you’re temporarily suspended from the Realm. When you’re able to participate again, you will get two warnings before you’re permanently suspended from the Grand RP board.
Soft rules are rules that aren’t too important for the life of the RP, but you’ll increase its life-quality by abiding them. If you feel that you need to break a Soft Rule, send me a PM where you explain the situation and ask nicely if it’s ok. I’ll probably say yes^^

These rules might be added upon, removed or edited by ours truly.

Hard Rules:
  • No God-moding, Shadow-playing, meta-playing or griefing.
    - God-moding: Making your character god-like in an improbable fashion. No matter who you are, you can’t catch three flying arrows while fighting four ninjas on top a wild Dragon’s head.
    - Shadow-playing: Directly or indirectly controlling another’s character without the controlling player’s consent. This includes “auto-hits”.
    - Meta-playing: Using information that you as a player might know, but that your character wouldn’t.
    - Griefing: Actions made for the sole intent of causing harm for your own entertainment.
  • No Mary Sues or Gary Stus. Make fully-fleshed, original characters.
  • Be true to the source-material. You all helped make the RP so respect your own work if you don’t mine.
  • No OOC fighting. If you must yell at each other over Cyberspace, do it over PMs, IM or some other acronym.
  • Literacy is requested. Typos are allowed, if frowned upon, but if I get complains on your writing, we must have a talk.
  • No one-liners.
  • Please try to be actively engaged in the RP. The management reserves the right to either temporarily assume control over or kill any character that is hindering others’ by being inactive. You will be notified and given a chance to post before we do anything with your character.
  • If you know you’re going to be away for a while, write that in your Signature so that your fellow players know you will not be responding until you’re back.

Soft Rules:
  • At least a paragraph per post (not including anything said OOC). Said paragraph might be short if you’re having a bad day, but most of your post should be around 70 words or more.
  • A Maximum of 3 characters per player for now. This might increase when the world has had time to grow bigger.
  • If you have more than 1 character, they may not be in the same thread at the same time. There should be as little contact between your own characters as possible.
  • If you want to make a new Location’s Thread, you must PM Ghostmaker and explain why. The first post in that Location’s thread must be a description of the area and what might happen there.
  • Keep cursing inoffensive. This is a brave new world, so why not create some brave new curse-words! C’mon you, Mishlacks!
  • There will inevitably be fighting and blood, but don’t go making anyone queasy with too detailed a description of the enemy’s detached liver.
  • Romance is allowed, but only the realistic kind. Characters who have never met before do not fall madly in love after three hours together. Also remember that the Realm will be around for a long time and so will any spouses your character attracts.
Back to top Go down
Ghostmaker

Ghostmaker

How it works Empty
PostSubject: Re: How it works   How it works I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 4:49 pm

Character sheet:
It might seem needlessly extensive, but remember that this is a RP that will last for a LONG time if everything goes according to plan so your character should be though through enough so you won’t lose interest after a week. Fill in this form and post if for review, but you should expect me asking you to make a change or two.

Username: (The handle which you are called by on NWRP)
Character’s Name: (The full name of your character, plus pronunciation-aid if it is too exotic)
- Nicknames or Titles: (Any nicknames, aliases, akas or titles your character might have)
Gender: (Male or Female. Might have more options here once more races are introduced)
Race: (This is both Race and Sub-race. Eks: Dark Elf, Noreg Human, Human Nomad)
Age: (How long since your character was born. Please consult the Race-section of the setting)
Memberships: (Any organizations, schools, governments, noble houses, bloodlines or such your character has any connection to)
Place of Birth: (Which country and perhaps which town s/he was born in)
Starting Location: (Where you want your character to start his adventure)

Equipment: (Please put a complete list of your character’s items including weapons, clothes, armor, gadgets, money and such things. This is to avoid people “pulling a cannon out of their pockets”, so to speak. If your character owns a house, apartment or lives permanently somewhere, include a separate, approximated list of his possessions there.)

Skills: (Please put a list of skills that your character has acquired over their lifetime. Do not include anything to do with magic as this has a separate category. Of the racial skills, include only the one last one which you chose, the rest are automatically included. Skills includes martial training, but also if your Char can sing or play a instrument, if s/he can run especially fast, if s/he can haggle with the best of them, any special training s/he’s received (first-aid, hunting, lyrical composition and such) and nearly anything else he or she knows.)

Magical Abilities: (Has s/he undergone the Gateway Ritual? If not, you have no magical abilities. That might change with the inclusion of new races.
If your avatar has undergone the Ritual, then s/he can use magic though there are limitations. Human magic is limited to seven different ‘schools’ and most Magicians choose to focus on one of them to achieve any mastery. Dwarves only have Runic Magic, but in return they are the only ones who can enchant items. Elves might be the most capable magic-users of the three, but they are also the most vulnerable to the forces of Magic because of their strong connection.)

Appearance: (I prefer text over pictures, but pictures are allowed. In the text, you must include obvious features. Hair color, scars, general attire, physical shape and other things that will help other players gauge how they would initially react to your Char’s appearance. Even if you do post a picture, you also have to write AT LEAST a short paragraph.)

Psychology: (What kind of person is your character? It is best to use your own words, though linking to a psychology site isn’t illegal. This does not have to be more than a short paragraph)
-Likes: (What does your character like? A handful of both big things and smaller.)
-Dislikes: (Enemies, prejudices, icky foods and anything your Char thinks is bad)
-Fears: (What are your character’s greater fears? No one is without fear, mind you!)
-Dreams: (Does your character have any hopes or goals for his or her life? Both big things and small.)

Background: (This should be the longest section of all the others. If your Background is shorter than your Appearance, Physiology, Skills, Equipment or Magic I will almost guarantee I will not approve your Char.
In your background you should include the circumstances around his/her birth, how s/he was raised, any significant or life-altering events, and other things of that nature. The background defines who your character is, and should involve a great deal of thought and planning.
If you want your character to have amnesia, that is fine, but you still have to write her/his background from birth even if s/he doesn’t remember it!)

Time-zone and Activity: (A little thing to help other players know when and how often you’ll post. Preferably put your Time-Zone in the “GMT +/- X” format, since it is easier to understand than just the name of your time-zone.)
[b]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

How it works Empty
PostSubject: Re: How it works   How it works I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How it works
Page 1 of 1